Some foods that produce gas or sulfur-like compounds are garlic, onions, cruciferous vegetables (such as broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts), eggs, dairy, meat, fish, seafood and dried fruits. These foods can cause unpleasant body odor or flatulence in some people.
• Garlic and onions: These foods contain organosulfur compounds that are responsible for their pungency and can cause a sulfurous odor when broken down in your body. These compounds can also be excreted through your breath, sweat or urine, making you smell like garlic or onions for hours or even days after eating them.
• Cruciferous vegetables: These include broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, radishes and asparagus. They produce gas and release sulfur-like compounds when digested by bacteria in your colon. These compounds can cause a rotten egg smell when you pass gas or stool. They can also interfere with the absorption of iodine, which is essential for thyroid function.
• Eggs and dairy: These foods contain sulfur-containing amino acids that can contribute to body odor when metabolized by your liver. These amino acids can also react with bacteria on your skin or in your mouth, producing volatile sulfur compounds that can cause a foul smell. Eggs and dairy can also cause lactose intolerance in some people, which can lead to gas, bloating and diarrhea.
• Meat, fish and seafood: These foods are high in protein and can produce hydrogen sulfide and other sulfur-like compounds when decomposed by bacteria in your gut or on your skin. These compounds can cause a fishy or rotten smell when you sweat or breathe. Meat, fish and seafood can also cause food poisoning in some cases, which can result in vomiting, diarrhea and fever.
• Dried fruits: These foods contain sulfites, which are preservatives that can cause a sulfurous odor when ingested. Sulfites can also trigger allergic reactions in some people, such as hives, swelling, wheezing or anaphylaxis. Dried fruits can also cause gas and bloating due to their high sugar and fiber content.